March 26, 2015

Purple Ombre Hair Color!

I dyed my hair purple!! 2 weeks before I turn the big 28 too. :D I should have done this a long time ago, but better late than never right?
I'm the type of girl that gets my hair done about twice a year. My hair doesn't grow very much or fast. I tried to get in with a recommended hair stylist but she was booked a month out. We just had engagement photos taken this past Saturday so I knew I had to do something about my hair before picture day.
My good friend suggest I check out this Vietnamese hair salon in Kent, Washington, which I did. I had no idea this little Vietnamese/Chinese area existed in Kent! There's bubble tea, Asian grocery store, pho restaurant, and the hair salon. I didn't get a change to check out the market, but I will definitely be back!

The haircut and hair color cost $120. I think that is a very fair price compared to the $275+ you pay at other salons for a cut and highlight/balayage color.
I went in with day old hair, I knew that if I was going to be coloring that I should come in with one day old hair because I read that it's more effective at holding color when you do so.
The whole experience was pretty fun. The hair stylist had her 4 year old daughter and a 4 month old Pomeranian puppy with her at the salon. She cut my hair real quick, and started bleaching my hair. I think she left the bleach on for about an hour. Then she washed it out. Then she started to mix my purple dye and applied it.
Minnie is as cute as my Charlotte Olympia flats! >^_^<

Funny enough, she ran out of purple dye! She had to make a trip to go get more dye. Because she ran out, it left a few strands of hair blonde! Eventually, I'll have it fixed with some DIY dye. lol She left me in charge of the salon for the 5-10 minutes she went to go pick up some more purple hair dye. I will never forget that hair salon experience.
She told me that a lot of hair colorist usually dilute their hair dye with a lot of conditioner. She says when they do that your color doesn't stay on very long and you have to come back for color touch ups. She says the key is to have strong dye and leave it on your hair for as long as possible. She says the hair dye itself is a conditioner. After we were done color, she wrapped my head in saran wrap and told me to wash it out with COLD water and then soak my hair in a tub of cold water with 4-5 tablespoons of vinegar.
She says it's best to wash hair with cold water to maintain the color. She also says avoid ever using Head n' Shoulder shampoo because it tends to strip out hair dye, same as hot water would do.
Luckily for me, my good friend has a salon and washed my hair out for me in the "hair wash sink" with cold water to help me avoid a very cold shower! lol 
My purple hair dye is one week old today! I've been pretty bad and have washed it with warm water. So far, not bad though! The color does bleed out when I shampoo with my favorite Kevin Murphy Plumping line shampoo, but it doesn't bother me. I feel the color is still vibrant as ever! I didn't expect my hair to be SO purple. But I've also never been stopped by so many strangers who had nothing but compliments on my hair color. *hair flip* ^^

Overall, I went and had my hair dyed purple for our engagement photo shoot. :D 

Purple as the Swarovski Crystal in my DSK Jewelry Necklace. :D

4 comments:

  1. Love the new hair - what a unique and pretty color!

    Jemily Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello your color is absolutely amazing. I fell in love with:-)
    how long the color lasted? Washed out so fast?
    I'm from the Czech Republic, my English is not very good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally pretty! I have a tube of purple and I plan on using it as soon as I use all of my blue tubes! ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!